Saturday, June 8, 2013

Phenlan's

Phenlan's was a mid century paint company based out of my home town of St. Louis, MO. They were a bit before my time, and looking around online I haven't been able to find much info about them as I'm supposing they are no longer around. But occasionally while out wandering the lonely aisles of antique malls, I'll come across a funny little freckled face character who I would eventually learn to be called "Perky Phelan", the adorable mascot for Phenlan's paint and paint products. Recently I found some phantastic Phelan's "color harmony guides" from the 50's, featuring Perky hard at work making houses look brighter, and better! Also on hand are a few lovely illustrated ladies, as well as Perky's gang of trusty humanoid paint brushes, paint cans, etc. The very last two smaller images at the bottom (of the paint can and button) I found on google-- there isn't much more on the web about Phenlan but this, unfortunately.


















5 comments:

Crafty C said...

oh man. i will never get enough of the dancing and smiling inanimate objects! i love all of them - but the two lady paint cans are the best! and i do really love the woman who is clearly the most excited she's ever been in her life over those paint swatches. but the first brochure cover at the top with the fruit bowl and mid century furniture is prob my fave.

i also love the two sets of muted, hazy pastel paint swatches. the cream/jonquil/ivory colors where in every room in my grandparents house where i grew up.

man - you find the coolest stuff!

Mr. Karswell said...

I had to do some larger detail scans from the Lix brochure center spread (hmmm, that sounds a lil naughty!) because those living paint objects are indeed the coolest! Maybe the next post will follow this same theme too?

Mr. Cavin said...

Carol literally just said exactly what I was going to say in the very order that I was going to say it. So ditto. Totally great.

Brian Barnes said...

Well, it seems that crystal meth was already in heavy use by inanimate objects. I except the the roller to stick me for money!

Mr. Karswell said...

No meth needed, ever smell the fumes from some freshly opened cans of paint?! Lawdy...