Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Chairs of Karswell

I picked up a couple of gorgeous Victorian era chairs last month to enhance the ever ongoing Karswell office upgrade, and after sharing both on FB with my closest inner circle coven of fellow cackling comrades, I thought I'd do the same here because most of you that follow AEET seem to be equally into cinematic creatures and wonton witchery too. Okay now, the first chair immediately grabbed my attention when I saw it at the antique mall, believing that the overall green color and shape of the comfy, claw-like back resembled the Creature from the Black Lagoon's amphibiously deadly monster mitt! Hence why the chair now sits next to a portion of my Creature collection-- natch! The second chair, now dubbed "The Witch Chair" thanks to Mr. Cavin, is a mid 1800's wood carved Stickley-Brandt work of awesome art, highlighted by the double winged demon battle crest and claw-footed design (and yes the chair is now inside, I took the pix outside because the lighting in my office wasn't quite cutting the detail mustard!) So there you have it, come on over and sit for a spell in the 'ol Witch Chair.... get it?

6 comments:

JMR777 said...

You are buying so much great stuff you might have to open a Museum of the Bizarre and Unusual to showcase it all (and help defray the costs).

Ripley made money from his Ooditorium, why can't you?

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow, was the witch chair broken and then repaired? I can't tell if that line up the back is just part of the original construction or what. If that's actually a scar from the past then I'm impressed with the restoration somebody did, especially up in the ornamental part. Also, it's some unique character that makes the chair even witchier.

Nice Creech Chair too, of course. What a lovely nook in which to browse your Creech Merch. We'll all be keeping our eyes peeled for a matching Creech Ottoman.

John said...

I like it -- you see monsters in everything!

Mr. Karswell said...

>Ripley made money from his Ooditorium, why can't you?

Not sure I'm quite Odditorium worthy just yet, but when I am, you will be the first to know! Believe it, or...

>was the witch chair broken and then repaired?

Appears the wood split at some point, but it's been long repaired and still very sturdy

>you see monsters in everything!

Doesn't everyone? ;)

Thanks for the comments, lots more coming up all this month, and next we'll be running from the spooky old mansion in our loveliest lingerie. Don't miss it!

Brian Barnes said...

I love the details on the witch chair; the dogs look like they are fighting over some kind of gem encrusted bone, and then the bird like feet. It's a real beauty.

The creech chair looks like it might be close to a reupholster job but it pretty nice for it's age, and the color scheme is certainly murky waters of the amazon ready!

Mr. Karswell said...

>The creech chair looks like it might be close to a reupholster job

Not at all, I just ran my hand up it the opposite direction and fluffed it up to show the texture.