Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Popeye the Juggler Game

Found a very rare, super old 1929 Popeye hand game where the object is to maneuver all your little BB balls by hand into the designated holes --and even balance one on his pipe! The back instructions are funny because they make it sound like an actual challenge vs. Popeye! Anyway, this one's a bit rusted around the edges, with character colors faded on the playfield, but overall it's in decent enough shape and still plays great. Made by Ear Zim Toy MFG. Co., INC. in New York.

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

That's very cool. You know, I love these tings a lot more with a little age on them, frankly. I know the objective of collectors and curators is mint perfection, and I respect that, but I think the tarnish and flaking paint add a lot of character. Now we can think of this as being an interesting object beyond just being an interesting product.

Brian Barnes said...

I used to have a bunch of these (modern ones, well, modern from when I was a kid which is vintage now) ... I remember all the water based ones. All of them were frustrating!

Like Mr. Cavin I love the patina on this thing!

JMR777 said...

That game is in really good shape considering it is 95 years old.