Saturday, July 20, 2019

Hollywood Halloween

We still have a ways to go to get to October 31st this year, and as some of you already know, Mr. Karswell never stops celebrating Halloween and is constantly in the paralyzin' planning stages of how next to decorate his Haunted Garage of Horrors! Inevitably, thumbing through the December 1978 issue of Starlog #18 for additional ideas and inspiration becomes a necessity, because who else is better to learn from for top notch frights 'n delights than the TRUE masters of horror. Yep, if names like Rick Baker and Bob Burns instantly make the hair stand up on the back of your necks, then you're gonna love this fun article loaded with great backyard, front yard, driveway, house 'n attic Halloween photos from the guys who actually worked on some of your favorite classic horror films! Costumes, sets, lighting, and super special FX all combined to put some extra tricks 'n treats into lucky SoCal kid's Halloween. Enjoy!

















4 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Man, I had some great Halloweens in my time, but I was not so lucky as the kids that lived in this neighborhood. Get a load of that rocket! I would have given an eyeball to have something like this in my neighborhood. Rick Baker run around the hood as an ape? Oh yes please. Even now I would give good money to see high-rez color photos of that Jekyll and Hyde show. Or an 8mm home movie reel.

I think I've still got that issue of Starlog in a box somewhere. It was published a little before I started subscribing, but Acme Comics had magazine boxes full of dirt cheap stuff under the tables when I was a young teen. I remember when I used to be able to get early numbers of the Warren horror mags two for a buck out of those boxes. I... uh... wish I'd done a lot more of that in hindsight. The things we take for granted.

JMR777 said...

When I was a kid, Halloween was always a special time-
a kind of national celebration of make believe. Bob Burns

Bless Bob Burns for giving the kids, young and young at heart, this great All Hallows spook show.

Now if we could only find a working time machine and go back to the seventies to see this show live...

JMR777 said...

A list of Bob Burn's Halloween shows-

http://bobburns.mycottage.com/extravaganzas.htm

gerard said...

Thankyou.I really enjoyed reading this.Loved those mags from the 70's.