Sunday, December 9, 2018

Cheese Cake

My trip to Japan last spring, as awesome as it was, produced one failure that I still regret daily since returning to the USA --and that being my inability to taste a Rikuro's Cheese Cake! Lord knows I tried, but the 2 hour long line wait times (at the endlessly bustling Osaka locations anyway) seriously hampered any chance I might have had at partaking in this famous delicacy. Here are a few pix I took while dying in line with countless other frustrated, drooling people:





Not at all like the cheesecake that westerners are used to, Rikuro's recipe produces something altogether unique and amazing (looking), more along the lines of a soft, fluffy spongecake, apparently not too sweet, and the smell-- OMG. They say it's like the most incredibly light, moist, gigantic cheesecake muffin top you ever wish you could just freakin' try. They even sprinkle a few raisins along the bottom, and then they adorably cattle brand their cute lil chef logo right onto the top. Fyi this pic is not mine:



Check out Rikuro's official website HERE for more info.

In the unfortunately more mundane meantime, (and the other point of this post), people here in the states can get a slightly different fix with this Korean snack size Mr. Cheese Cake variation from Samlip, which can be found at most asian or international style markets. The package says they've been around for 60 years, and I have to admit, it's really really yummy...







...but I imagine it's a far far cry from the real thing pulled hot 'n fresh from a Rikuro oven. And for now, I will continue to just imagine.

6 comments:

JMR777 said...

Sorry you didn't get a chance to sample this Japanese delicacy, maybe if you manage to travel to Japan in the future the Japanese will have their own version of Uber eats or delivery drones to deliver cheesecake to your hotel room. Now there is a business an ambitious unemployed or retired Japanese person could start, tourists order the cheesecake they stand in line to buy it for a fee.

I'm a bit surprised Japan isn't in the forefront of drone research, Japan's love of all things robotic would make them the perfect candidate to develop flying robots.

Craftypants Carol said...

Super yum!

Mr. Cavin said...

You're killing me. That looks incredible. I'm heading to the first Asian grocery I see when I am home for the holidays. Hopefully I can at least find that awesome looking Korean knockoff cheesecake.

anthrax2525 said...

Oh my that looks good.

JMR777 said...

The only thing that could possibly top a Rikuro's Cheesecake would be a Rikuro Cheesecake donut! Talk about a taste of heaven.

Mr. Karswell said...

haha, re reading these comments is making me hungry now!! :)