Monday, December 19, 2016

Catholic Miss of America '54

A very exhausting clean-up in Karswell Kastle recently unearthed some interesting finds, things I had forgotten about, other things I had misplaced rather haphazard and foolishly. And I seriously have no idea when, where, or why I acquired a 1954 copy of Catholic Miss of America, as most things associated with any form of organized religion makes me instantly want to crank some Venom or Slayer-- but!!! --a quick flip-thru of the browning, crumbling pages and immediately I could see why (or how) this issue made its way into my devilish grip. Yes, cute girl illustrations seem to find their way into my possession no matter where they materialize from, and as your savior of forgotten key art (and now Catholic kitsch), I am more than happy to help these blessed things find new, everlasting, and yes, even redeeming life through the blood of blogger resurrection. Amen.

















6 comments:

Swank Daddy said...

The articles must be quite interesting viewed from today's modern points of view.

Mr. Cavin said...

I've never even heard of this mag (though I'm not altogether too sure why I would've, not being Catholic, a teen, or a girl). The art is so good! I love the picture of Sally and Judy and the Editor all roasting campfire wieners down at the ol' sabbath.

Craftypants Carol said...

These illustrations are fab! I love all of them (but esp the hotdog roast picnic)

I have to say though, that Sally and Judy look a little bit like hoochie mamas to me :)

Brian Barnes said...

Why does this make me think of Zappa's "Catholic Girls?"

JMR777 said...

Don't take this as an insult to Catholicism or nuns, but when I saw the front cover I thought it read Saint Therese of- Latex

Devilish thought indeed.



Mr. Karswell said...

A hot dog roast for the holiday should be the new tradition! Who's with me?