Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Ecchorcist

We'll take a hallow-breather from the creepy cute vintage greeting cards for a bit and read a story based on a spooky film favorite-- The Exorcist!  Many people remember the October 1974 issue of MAD Magazine #170, they did a hilarious send-up of The Exorcist called "The Ecchorcist", written by Larry Siegel and illustrated by the great Mort Drucker. But who remembers that the August 1974 issue of CRAZY Magazine #6 had their own barf bag version of the same film, also retitled "The Eccorchist!??!!" No fooling'! Penned by good 'ol Marv Wolfman, and artistic duties went to Vance Rodewalt (plus a nice cover painting by Kelly Freas too!) I'll have another weird, related piece from this issue in our next possessed... errrrr... post too-- oh, and if anyone wants to see the MAD Magazine version, just hang tight, that's coming up too!



















UP NEXT...

4 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Man, what a great cover. I'm not sure I realized Frank Kelly Freas did satire covers. Well, I knew he did plenty of tongue-in-cheek books, but I didn't know he did humor mags. Very nice.

I thought all the Billy Bladder jokes were really funny. I also thought most of the devil dialog was solid gold--lots of fun to read out loud in an evil voice while the rest of the household was trying to get some sleep. Happy October, household! Looking forward to comparing this with the Mad satire. Also, I just watched The Exorcist II: Hereticon the big screen for the first time last weekend. You wouldn't happen to have a satire of that one? Assuming it's even possible to make a satire from source material so astray on the moonscape of its own lunacy.

Grant said...

I'm so fond of this Crazy issue that I'm pretty sure I recognized that doll in the last photo. I think it's from that "Fumetti" version of The Exorcist in the same issue.

Mr. Karswell said...

Yep it's coming up next!

Brian Barnes said...

"Ram a peach, you hollywood squares reject" is something I will use at first notice!

I remember the MAD version of this, but never read the crazy version. It's great! Not quite it's equal, but both are very funny. Wolfman really had it out for the Nixon administration (that humor is going to be dated for anybody younger than us!) and constantly let "Bladder" have it. I don't remember a single money-grubbing joke that didn't land!