Friday, November 23, 2012

The Day After...

You ate too much yesterday, didn't you? Pies. Taters. More pie. It's a Post-Thanksgiving world you now live in, and before you get yourself into a ton of trouble with upcoming xmas feasts, it's time to turn to the Good Reading Rack Service for an AEET assist. Low Calorie Meals is a 16-page booklet from 1954, adapted from the "Reduce and Enjoy it Cookbook" by Elaine Ross. And. I lied. I ain't helping you reduce a thing. I'm just going to show you some gloriously fun artwork featured inside the booklet, and if these illustrations send you waddling back to the kitchen for another slice of pie, don't blame me.
















6 comments:

Crafty C said...

Oh. My. God. I seriously think this is the coolest thing you have ever posted. I'm dying.

:)

Mr. Karswell said...

Cooler than Pussy Meow?!

Mr. Cavin said...

These are fantastic. Especially the cover and the roast (and that travel-related one). But really all of them. What a way to really wring the possibilities out of a single color and halftone combination, unsung fifties illustrator person! From meat to strawberries in just a couple of pages....

Mr. Karswell said...

Indeed, Mr C! Revisit an older AEET post featuring the cookie art of Davi Botts for more similar great style!

http://andeverythingelsetoo.blogspot.com/2010/07/cookie-art-of-davi-botts.html?m=1

Mr. Cavin said...

Heck yeah, that's greet too (and I'm with you about favoring the soap box derby kid). I love those title designs! I love the stroke of darker value the kids and women all have across their upturned noses (and usually under the eyes) in that style--like everybody has an invigorating farmer's tan from outdoor activity. Of the furnaces of hell, really. In the Davi Botts work, the children's coal black eyes kind of make them all look like fiendish little devils to me, and maybe a bit older than their precocious little costumes pretend. Maybe like a bunch of trickster demons all dolled up as kids for Halloween?

Mr. Karswell said...

Haha, perfect!