Tuesday, July 11, 2023

YETI: The Abominable Snowman

If the summer heat has got ya down, then head for the Himalayas to cool off with everyones favorite mountainy monster, --the Yeti! Or more specifically, head to the air conditioned aisles of a midwestern antique mall and track down your own mangy Marx toy from 1963, also known as, "Yeti, the Abominable Snowman!" He grunts and walks! He raises his arms and shrieks! He's priced at $1,500 for some kookball reason-- good lord! *gasp! Well, he is pretty cool after all, but not cool enough to convince my wallet to buy him. That didn't stop me from taking a bunch of close-up pix of this crazy cryptid in all of his gruntin' glory, from the tip of his furry white head, down to his weirdly mis-colored set of paws. The remote control looks like an old slim boy Busch beer can, and TBH, the best part of this entire monstrosity is the various artwork found on all sides of the lid that looks like it could have easily doubled for carnival freakshow banners! 

6 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Oh my god, a remote control yeti! That has to be the most amazing thing I've seen in a long time. Are his feet tin? Or just shiny plastic or something? I agree that fifteen hundred bucks is too much to spend on this, but I am surprised just how tempted I feel.

I agree about the box art. It's super. Looks a little like fireworks labels to me.

Brian Barnes said...

So there's some footage on YT and this thing is awesome. Its shriek is like the wailing of the dead!

This reminds me of my favorite toy from my very young days with was a walking, barking dog. Same kind of round, c-battery controller. I have one again, thanks to eBay!

Tom said...

This Yeti is legend in my family. My brother got it for Christmas Eve around 1960. On that same Christmas Eve while playing with it, he shoved a Nativity figure in its mouth causing the mouth to clamp down on it and strip the gears. It no longer howled or functioned properly.

JMR777 said...

I wonder if the battery powered Yeti was inspiration for the Yeti costume in "Shriek of the Mutilated".

Mr. Karswell said...

Great comments you guys, thanks as always for stopping by and checking out my posts!

Another rampaging monster post is up next, so grab a surfboard and head to the beach, errrr I'm talkin' about the OTHER horror of Amity-- Island that is!

The Retro Dad said...

This is absolutely wonderful! CANNOT believe what great shape its in.