Thursday, December 31, 2020

Humanoid

I had a much different post planned today for New Years Eve 2020, (a sexy fun vintage stage show brochure), unfortunately, I misplaced it before I got around to scanning it so it'll have to wait for another time. Instead, --and actually this is even a bit more appropriate now, I see, as I'm typing this up-- for AEET's final post of a rather disastrous, lousy year full of sadness, sickness, and countless tragedy, I present a shining light example of something good that happened here in the final weeks of 2020: with a complete stranger performing a surprising act of extreme kindness and very generous giving. Okay first, let's travel back a few months to October, when once again I'm out on one of my many usual antique mall rounds, and I discover a halloween costume from Collegeville's 1978 "Science Fiction" line. Cosmically cool box art full of spectacular space graphics and alien starships, and folded neatly inside is a silvery, shiny costume frock featuring something most colorfully alien, and labeled simply as "Humanoid." Seemingly half, scaly android, and possibly even part human -- I mean, that is a rather gory, half exposed brain protruding out of the top of the head, isn't it? "So what is this crazy looking thing from another world?" I asked myself. And then I immediately howl out in disappointment after realizing that OH GOD NO the mask is missing. "Sold as is" said the tag. Wah. I decide to buy it anyway, and immediately set out googling and ebaying my life away to find the mask that fits. No luck. A couple of weeks later I take a few "please help" pix and post them in some vintage toy / halloween / horror facebook groups, and low and behold, almost magically, someone replies back that they indeed have a mask that matches! This news becomes even more exciting when inquiring if they would be interested in selling or possibly trading for it, with the person eventually replying back that they would just give it to me-- all I needed to do was give them my address! What! Seriously?! And a week or so later it arrives (holiday gift wrapped even!) and I am now finally able to put mask - frock- and box together to complete my weird ass HUMANOID, with a very special thanks to the super HUMAN that made it possible. A rather nice way to end 2020, don't you think? So Happy New Year, everyone! We will see you in January with lots, lots more to give, so please stay with us...



6 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Happy New Year!

The aliens I hope to fight are the ones with exposed brains!

Here's to more great posts in 2021, thanks for all you've done to entertain us.

Slayla said...

Looks fantastic together! I'm so happy you got the mask. What a kind gesture. Happy New Year Mr. Karswell!

Mr. Cavin said...

It came gift wrapped? That's just too amazing! What an excellent person. This is a really neat costume find, too. I've never in my life seen it before. It's like wearing a Roger Corman movie poster.

Happy 2021! I hope the improvements start immediately. I've got my fingers crossed so hard they hurt.

JMR777 said...

Is an online museum of Halloween costumes a future project, Karswell? What better way to keep alive the spirit of All Hallows 385 days a year.

Rick said...

Props to the generous soul that sent you that mask. We need more humanoids like that.

Tom said...

What an awesome person. Congrats!