Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Hip-Pocket Tommy James

A friend of mine who owns his own record store recently bought a huge vinyl collection from someone, and amongst the mountainous mix of classics was a small stack of Hip-Pocket flexi disc records from the 60's. Despite an early career in record retail that spanned some 10+ years myself, I was a bit unfamiliar with these neatly packaged mini 45's that could be carried around easily in your hip pants pocket. I looked through the stack and, though it's unfortunately damaged, I immediately grabbed the one which contains two of my all time favorite Tommy James songs. Discogs' description is as follows: Hip Pocket Records were 3 7/8 inch flexi-discs manufactured from 1967 to 1969 by Philco, and came in colorful packaging that was about 6 1/4 inches tall by 5 inches wide, simply listing the two tracks with a photo of the artist or band. 







SIDE ONE: I Think We're Alone Now

SIDE TWO: Mirage

3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Interesting -- never heard of them either.

Man, I need that jacket in my life.

Mr. Cavin said...

Yeah, this is a new one on me. Too bad they were only around for a handful of years. I guess the idea was unseated by the eight track?

How's it play?

Mr. Karswell said...

>Man, I need that jacket in my life.

*quality of girls that the jacket attracts varies per wearer

>How's it play?

It won't, it's trashed and being a flimsy flexi it just slides around under the pressure of the needle. I even put a penny on it!