Saturday, December 16, 2017

CARTOONISTS: Roy Nelson & Colin Allen

Found a super duper hardcover book collection recently called MERRY-GO-ROUND: Pictorial Review of the Year, with contents originating from Pictorial Review, as featured in 1940's Sunday Magazines syndicated all over the USA. A sort of "best of" of stories about life, love, and career, with hilariously fascinating male fabrications concerning all sort of "facts" on friends and family, as well as touchy subjects ranging from why women shouldn't wear slacks, to how much more intelligent men are than the opposite sex. Ummm, ok... did I mention this was published in 1947? Each chapter is illustrated by a variety of exceptionally competent cartoonists like D. B. Holcomb, John Buckley, Michael Berry, Irving Roir, etc... (I'll be featuring a few of these in our next post as well) and two of the best, in my humble opinion, and thankfully with the largest assortment of brilliant examples in said book, are Roy Nelson and Colin Allen. Incredibly fun stuff. See you in a few days for more!

































NOT THE END...

4 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

All of this is great. I like the stuff by Allen (especially those really heavy-line 2D style dropshadow pieces, and the one with the man biting the dog in the end), but the Roy Nelsons are all just marvey! They are really fresh and unique looking to me (even though there are pieces that remind me of Dick Briefer--that baseball cartoon for one--and some that evoke Al Hirschfeld). The woman wearing pants pushing the pram and the guy crying at the wedding are probably mu faves.

Mr. Karswell said...

I love the way Nelson draws girls, super cute... more from this book coming up.

Thanks for the comment Cavin!

Mr. Cavin said...

You know it. But thanks you more. I mean, I have a new fave I think. I dig the thick calves and big hands on these figures. I hope you find and post a lot more. Happy Christmas Eve!

Crafty C said...

I like the first two the best. The girls are really cute in all of them, though.