Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Cook Drugs Contests '64

More super cute key art from this old Cook Drugs 1964 calendar (see also the "Doings of the Deans" post strips from earlier this month), where apparently this pharmacy was not only the hot place to buy all of your cough 'n sniffle needs, but it was also the place that you could enter contests to win fabulous stuff like TVs, knives, and Speed Queen appliances-- as well as exotic trips all over the world! I don't think Walgreens or CVS does shit like this and seriously come on, it's 2017! I'll have more fun art examples from this calendar next month too-- oh and before I forget, this stuff is tiny too, so I blew it up 300% for ya'll! Now who wants a slice of that ham! :)

































6 comments:

JMR777 said...

14 Karat Gold Benrus watches only as third prize? Watch and jewelry enthusiasts would rank them as first prize today!

Armpit Studios said...

The real prize is the illustration. Lordy that's good stuff.

Mr. Cavin said...

I would much rather win the original art board from that washer and dryer set contest than the actual prize. That's just beautiful. I'm about fifty-fifty on the car contest too, but no matter how awesome that illustration is, I do really love a '65 Ford.

Craftypants Carol said...

Wow - these illustrations are seriously awesome. I love them all! But man those hands holding the pen in the pen and pencil sets are so great. All of the super happy faces are great too. And the ham and turkey and rack of lamb or whatever that is. But of course my fave is the kids in front of the tv with the clown on it. That is just amazing. I might have to bump the fembot and make that my profile pic :)

Oh and Mr. Cavin - my very first car was a 65 T-bird. I loved that thing!

Mr. Cavin said...

Craftypants: see, that's just awesome! My third car was a metallic mint '69 Ford Galaxie 500 four door. I'm no car nerd, but it was just such a great ride that I can still remember all those words. I probably would have traded it for the sixty-five Galaxie, though. I certainly would have traded for a sixty-five Thunderbird. Tres Thelma and Louise!

Tom said...

Love this stuff. And you probably have the only copy in existence. Thanks for preserving it. By the way, those crazy offset-wheeled lawn mowers were hard to use. Inevitably, the mower always tipped toward that unwheeled corner.