How about a few page highlights from a 1949 Skating Vanities brochure booklet today? Beautiful painted cover, lovely interior lay-outs and color overlays, pro skaters dressed as animals and snowmen, not to mention the endless array of gorgeous gals on wheels! I have to admit though, my favorite detail are all of those great little illustrated characters stumblin' around throughout, falling on their butts, but still having themselves a whirly-bird of a time! So many great concepts and costumes on display here-- it almost puts the Ice Capades to shame... almost. I'm also guessing this production wasn't for kids, as the burlesque themes seem rather obvious.
Now, --bring on the Cycle Cycloramics!
6 comments:
Star Gloria Nord can take a backseat to the gorgeous Betty Hand, Skating Director, and both of them can take the trunk to the true beauty of the show, Mama Bear!
Adding to the burlesque theme is the drag comedy show "The Burlesque Belles," of which one guy does double duty as Papa Bear!
I'm kind of amazed by Cycolramics which is mirrored but still that's a LOT of people on bicycles on ice!
If the program alone is this thrilling, I can’t even imagine the actual show! 😍
The pony circus gives me the creeps a little, but I guess we've already established that horse heads kinda freak me out. Otherwise, I love the sepia and blue color scheme they are suing here. That memo page collage is really beautiful to me, and I would love to do it as a jigsaw puzzle.
I knew you’d say something about Mama Bear —I knew it! New Barnes Fetish unlocked!
I think we should wear skates at work this sale weekend. You in?
I'll have to pass on roller skates, my balance isn't what it used to be.
I will admit it, I never knew there was a roller skate version of ice capades, though it would make sense since ice skating rinks were few in number back then.
I did a google search for "Count Le Roy" and found the following item-The Table Dance: One of Count Le Roy's signature, gravity-defying feats involved performing an intricate "skate-dancing" routine entirely atop a small, 3-foot-square elevated table.
He was a great talent of long ago but there is little information concerning him online, much like so many performers of the forties.
Thanks for sharing this brochure of skating stars of yesteryear.
Post a Comment