Sunday, September 13, 2026

Signs of an Early Fall

Time for a dozen highlights from Thos. W. Jackson's "See America First" funny book from 1922. I really don't want this post to turn into anything too overly political, (can we pleeease just focus on the cute art?) --but as with most things "America First", there tends to be a rather large amount of rough landings pertaining to sex, and especially to race throughout these 95+ pages of coast to coast jokery. To be perfectly honest, some of the travel related jokes mirror where we are even now as a country, which can be both a good thing, and a bad thang, and I spared ya'll some of the more painful examples. Jackson seemed quite proficient throughout the first half of the century though, churning out tons of material as evidenced by the back cover featuring more of his kooky collections, and thus, making millions laugh, and more than likely, groan.

6 comments:

  1. Cute jokes, they remind me of Benny Hill's seaside postcard/music hall humor.

    We all need a good laugh nowadays, thanks for the humorous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a good assessment of this stuff!

      Delete
  2. A number of these gags have my favorite old-time-y bit where an entire crowd is looking on, getting ready for the craziness to happen. Like "Signs of an early fall" and "to wash her ears." I always like that, it's all this weird kind of background element work, kind of like a less nutty MAD.

    Speaking of MAD, the sleep walking lady is a Kutzman joke if I've ever seen one.

    JMR777 nailed this one, any of these could be one of those sea side resort postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like how everybody in the banana peel cartoon sees it coming--except for the birdwatcher of course, he's doomed (and that kid's got plenty of ammo left if he has to try, try again). I also like the sassy plump lady on the beach in the "return ticket" gag. Got the Etta Candy vibes going on.

    The sleep walking comic's high concept is a pretty heavy lift, even after jamming in a second panel. And as far as high concept backstories go, I've had a good time filling in the pertinent details of that "lost nurse" cartoon (which has my favorite art in today's roundup--man but I love a group in multiple uniforms!). Coming up with lighthearted reasons for that sick kid to have landed in police custody on his caregiver's birthday can get pretty darn convoluted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anybody get the “wash her ears” gag?

    ReplyDelete